Senioritis : Maybe it’s not so bad after all?

With the seniors gone for summer vacation, the “senioritis” often associated with second semester seniors has finally come to an end.

Up until recently, I aimed to disprove the “Senioritis” theory. I planned to exert the same amount of effort into my grades as a second semester senior as I did every other semester of high school.

My outlook changed about a month ago. I was volunteering at a local bookstore and the adult supervisor asked me how I felt about starting my last semester of high school. When the supervisor told me she wanted to give me advice for the semester, I braced myself for the typical warning. I expected her to tell me I should not let myself slack off at school and succumb to the temptations of laziness without punishment.

Instead, she told me the opposite: She told me not to worry about my grades because I should not let myself burn out mentally before college. The worst scenario would be to arrive to college dreading class and homework.

Of course, this advice does not mean second semester seniors should skips class, stop doing their homework, or stop participating in discussion at school. Second semester seniors certainly should not aim to get grades lower than B’s or C’s on their report cards as those scores could lead to rescindment from college or academic probation in college. The only difference should be stress levels. While seniors should continue to participate in class and study for exams, they should not stress about these exams–a sprinkling of B’s on their second semester report cards would not be the end of the world. Seniors should adapt their sense of priorities–in a decision between studying for a quiz and going out with friends, the latter activity might be the more important event during the last few months classmates have together.

When seniors pause to relax on schoolwork, they find themselves with new free time. Second semester seniors in MCPS answered the question, How have you been spending your newfound free time as a Second Semester Senior? Below are their responses.

“I actually have time to read books! My room has been piling up with books over the year so I’m starting with those.” -Eliane Nieder

“Baking bread! I started baking bread around two years ago, but since it is a no knead style of bread baking, it usually takes around two days. I love seeing how just a few simple ingredients can make a WHOLE wheat bread.” -Alex Leipold

“I’ve spend more time relaxing, missing layups [in basketball], and writing Tattler [the B-CC school newspaper] articles.” -Spencer Hacker

“I’ve been trying to spend more time outdoors! The next few weekends I’m hoping to go hiking with friends and/or family. I’ve been biking to school and when it’s warm I’ll read a book outside in my hammock.” -Victoria Toth

“I am spending a lot of time writing a children’s book. It’s about being accepting of refugees and I’m trying to get it published/have Politics and Prose carry it.” -Julia Kagan

“I did my National E License [license for coaching 5-12 year olds] at a weekend course hosted by US Soccer. It was basically just a weekend of playing and watching soccer. It was fun.” -Nick Berlinski

“I started going to spinning [class] almost every day. I like working out, but I find that I work harder in a class with a teacher and other people motivating me. I find that when I work out, I just feel so much better, more alert, more optimistic, and more ready to face the day, both physically and mentally.” -Julia Chertkof

“I’ve been painting! I started because it’s a great way to de-stress and relax. I’ve really been enjoying experimenting with different techniques.” -Brigit Cann

With adjusted priorities, seniors have more time than ever to engage in their passions and try new activities. Second semester senior year is clearly an opportunity for much more than just laziness.

Article by MoCo Student staff writer Zoe Nuechterlein of Bethesda Chevy-Chase High School