2023: Pioneering Change in a Permacrisis Era

As the world today seems to be on fire, teenagers often step forward as the first responders. 

To define the multitude of issues, teenagers are courageously grappling with, particularly considering a proliferation of global crises erupting worldwide, the word permacrisis elevates to the forefront of the contemporary vernacular. 

Permacrisis encompasses the complex and interrelated challenges of environmental degradation, climate change, and resource scarcity that our planet faced for decades. Exacerbated by the pandemic, the term reflects the social, political, and economic strains facing many vulnerable populations today, including youth. 

Despite the unprecedented challenges, teenagers are rushing to the occasion as catalysts for change, actively engaging in discussions, mobilizing communities, and demanding greater accountability from leaders to ensure a sustainable future for themselves and future generations.

As a tumultuous 2023 wound down, the year itself became synonymous with permacrisis, especially when seen through the eyes of teenagers. In the face of gun violence, global conflicts, political events, climate change, and more, youth faced demanding challenges where they (unfairly or not) assumed the responsibility of resolving societal disputes. Who knew that the voice of reason would be teenagers?

A Bethesda-Chevy Chase sophomore explained, “I believe that 2023 was a year where we teenagers were obligated to understand the world more and open our minds to other issues.” Students interviewed for this article used the following expressions to describe the former year: “Glad to be over with,” “overwhelming,” “exhausting,” “chaotic,” “handful,” and “stressful,”  signaling the challenges woven within the entangled fabric of 2023. 

According to Time Magazine journalist Jamie Ducharme, in 2023, teenagers’ mental health took an enormous toll. “Along with all the classic challenges of growing up – grades, parents, first loves—looms a crop of newer ones: TikTok, gun violence, political division, the whipsaw of COVID-19, the not-so-slow creep of climate change,” Ducharme said. Mental Health America (MHA) released that nearly 12%of youth (more than 2.7 million) suffered from severe depression in their “Youth Ranking 2023” survey. The concept of permacrisis became even more relevant when considering the mental health challenges faced by teenagers in 2023, which not only encompasses global issues but also includes the psychological impact these issues have on individuals.

But to best understand how permacrisis affects teenagers’ daily lives, who better to turn to than teenagers themselves? Data collected from a survey with approximately 30 teenagers’ responses told another story. The data showed that while more than 55% consider “global conflicts”  impacted them the most during the year, nearly 75% reported an increase in their perception of social issues during 2023.

Beyond the statistics, it is vital to consider their views and perspectives. When  asked about a specific event that impacted them the most, a Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School (B-CC) sophomore said, “the Palestine and Israel conflict.” Additionally, a student from Colegio Anglo Colombiano in Bogotá, Colombia, explained, “political decisions taken by Gustavo Petro, the president of Colombia.” Besides exploring the toll that global events have on teenagers, these student voices reflect the depth of teenagers’ understanding of national and global events and the weight of their experiences, reminding us of youth’s role in shaping the world’s future. 

On the other hand, the permacrisis also motivated teenagers to step forward to make a concrete difference. Another B-CC sophomore said, “The smog from the Canadian wildfires triggered me to get involved in some climate action movements, and now I’m running a campaign.” Other teenagers in Colombia reported working on a project to incorporate reusable water tanks in their schools to reduce energy consumption.

Amidst the turbulent landscape of the permacrisis, teenagers have emerged as beacons of hope, and their unwavering determination is evident through their proactive attempts to ease the pain of the most complex challenges of our time.

As 2024 emerges, teenagers may become the vital currents that propel us toward a future untangled from the permacrisis. Like the gentle yet persistent winds, they breathe life into the sails of progress, navigating through the turbulent waters of environmental degradation, climate change, and resource scarcity. With unwavering determination and a compass of empathy, they chart a course toward a world where sustainability and equity converge. Their collective efforts ripple through society, shaping a transformative landscape where the echoes of their actions resonate far beyond their own time, leaving a legacy of resilience and empowerment for generations to come. As a Colegio Anglo Colombiano student said, “2023 was a year of change and understanding in different areas, socially, culturally, and globally. A year to celebrate teenage growth and maturity.” 

Article Written by Ximena Sacks of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School

Photo courtesy of the New York Times