Receive email updates!

Enter your email address to receive new articles by email.

Connect on Social Media

Google +1Youtube

Weathering the Weather: Thursday Rain to Snow-Storm

11040257_10203892915504846_1757208849_n

The rain currently falling over the county will turn to snow tomorrow, eventually burying the county in 6-10 inches of snow, sleet, and ice. Snow should mix with sleet between 3 and 5 AM and turn to snow between 7 and 9 AM. Roads will get slick and hazardous quickly, and significant impacts are likely on both the AM and PM commutes. The heaviest snow is likely between 11 AM and 4 PM, when it could come down at 1-2 inches per hour. The snow will taper to flurries between 4 and 7 PM, and should be done completely by 8 PM.

MCPS will almost certainly close tomorrow, a chance of over 95 percent. Even a lowest-case scenario would still leave a few inches of snow and sleet on roads and snarl travel. As temperatures drop overnight, any standing rainwater should freeze tomorrow morning. Even shoveled sidewalks and roads are likely to be icy due to sleet and frozen rainwater. If you remember it, this storm has some similarities with the storm of March 3 last winter. Expect cold temperatures tomorrow night and Friday. If the higher end amounts verify, there could be no school on Friday as well. I would put school odds for Friday at a 50% chance of no school, 40% chance of a 2-hour delay, and 10% chance of school starting on time. The map above depicts expected snow accumulations by tomorrow evening. This map was made by Devesh Sullivan, graphics designer and forecaster for DCSWW. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below!

Article by MoCo Student staff meteorologist Josh Karpatkin

About Josh Karpatkin

Josh is a junior at Walter Johnson. He participates vaguely in Science Olympiad, and is a frequent comer at the WJ political forum club. He has been interested in weather since the record breaking blizzards of 2010, and also enjoys rock climbing, board games, and flying RC planes.

View all Articles

Leave a Comment