Receive email updates!

Enter your email address to receive new articles by email.

Connect on Social Media

Google +1Youtube

Weathering the Weather: Icy Start to Exams

Starting late this evening, periods of rain and freezing rain will overspread the area. Ice accumulations will generally be light, on the order of a tenth inch or so. Temperatures will rise above freezing in the mid to late morning tomorrow (probably between 7 and 9 AM), but due to the very cold ground ice accretions may continue past that point. Untreated roads are likely to be very slick, as will sidewalks. Enough ice to threaten power lines and trees is not anticipated. Temperatures should be stuck between 30 and 32 for much of the county, rising up to the mid 30’s by noon.

The most likely impact on school tomorrow would be a delay, which I would put the probability of at 60%. There is also around a 20% chance of a closure and a 20% chance school opens on time.

This is not a major ice storm, more like a nuisance-level event, somewhat smaller than the February 5th event last winter.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask in the comments below.

Update: Public schools in Prince George’s County and Baltimore City will have a two-hour delay tomorrow.

Article by Josh Karpatkin, MoCo Student staff meteorologist

About The MoCo Student

In 2012, Student Member of the Board of Education John Mannes created a countywide press network to help build a conduit to share fresh and relevant information written by youth to the wider Montgomery County student body.

View all Articles

One Response to Weathering the Weather: Icy Start to Exams

  1. student Reply

    January 11, 2015 at 10:55 pm

    What are the chances of the temperature staying above freezing? Or what would happen if it did that early on (around 5am)

Leave a Comment