EpiPens May Save Students’ Lives

This story is an update of ‘Ei-Pens Coming to Schools. Perhaps.’

Some students are deathly allergic to peanuts, bee stings, and other substances, which can lead to a condition known as anaphylaxis. In order to mitigate serious reactions, a device called ‘EpiPen’ is often applied. However, schools across the nation prohibit their nurses to administer EpiPen to students whose parents have not explicitly given permission. Just outside of Montgomery County, incidents of students experiencing anaphylaxis have caused great apprehension for schools. To address this issue, the MCPS Board of Education unanimously passed the resolution, Emergency Care for Student Experiencing Anaphylaxis, on October 22, 2012. The resolution calls for the training of a wide range of staff, including securities, administrators, nurses, etc., to recognize the symptoms of anaphylaxis and to administer EpiPen to students in need. Earlier this year, EpiPen policy received support from doctors, registered nurses, and the majority of parents surveyed when opened to public comment.

All in all, through the policy’s adoption, the Board hopes to promote the safety of our students and prevent unnecessary life-threatening conditions.

By Justin Kim, SAC Press Correspondent